Fight this battle. Love and loss.

So follow Bloggers and readers alike:
   It has been sometime since my last post, and obviously a lot can go on during an amount of time however small, or big. But I can't really note down everything that has occurred during this period of time, nor would I like to as its mostly bland and uninteresting.
 
As of late times have been better in my life, and I choose to share my feelings and my thoughts in this blog post.
                Yesterday after returning from work I was informed my wonderful Aunty Marg lost the battle of a lifetime, and this family has been affected or influenced by this and many others before this one, but never more has this hurt so much.
 
This disease has ripped apart my family, but there are no connections and only 2 are here still today.
I'm talking Cancer. Now if you don't approve or want to read on, I will not hold it against you.
 
At 57 my pop lost his battle with lung cancer, I never got to meet him, because back in '84 it was that much harder to both cure and survive.
 
My dads aunt died from brain cancer, an uncle from leukaemia, a cousin from brain cancer and another aunty had stomach cancer.
 
His sister, one of the strongest and bravest women I know, had a double mastectomy to avoid chemotherapy. Only to watch her own daughter, also one of the strongest and bravest to go through a fight of her life- Cervical cancer.
 
So there you have it. Cancer is always in the back of our minds, every check-up, every bad feeling is right there, waiting to pop up and scare us all.
   
 My Aunt at 68 didn't just fight breast cancer once, she did it twice, but at a million times worse off the second time. It had consumed her body, if they weren't seeing somewhere, they (the doctors) certainly would really quick.
  Chemo, radiation and surgery helped, but more or less made the situation worse. And finally she succumbed to this invader.
 
Breast cancer can't just be linked to family history. Heck I'm sure the cancers that have claimed the lives of too many of my relatives can't be linked to family history. The facts are beginning to stack up:
 
  • Breast cancer is the most common cancer affecting women.
 
  •  In 2013, it is estimated that 14,940 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer.
 
  • The latest statistics (2010) show that the 5-year survival rate for women diagnosed with breast cancer is more than 89 per cent. 
 
  • Breast cancer is the most common cancer in Australian women (excluding non-melanoma skin cancer), accounting for 28.2 per cent of all new cancers in women. 
 
  • In 2008, the risk of developing breast cancer before the age of 85 was 1 in 8.
 
  • Currently 36 women in Australia are diagnosed with breast cancer every day
 
  • Of the 14,509 women predicted to be diagnosed with breast cancer in 2012, over 800 are expected to be less than 40 years old.

  • The average age of breast cancer diagnosis was 60 years.

  • In 2008 the age of women being diagnosed were;  
24% women younger than 50 years;
51% women 50–69 years; and
25% women aged 70 years and over.
 
  • Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer-related death in Australian women, accounting for 15.5 per cent of all cancer deaths in women
  • Australian women diagnosed with breast cancer have an 88% chance of surviving 5 years after diagnosis
 The one thing my family are on at the moment is the same
Early detection is a must.
 
If you feel something isn't quite right, please go and see a doctor if not for yourself but for your family, because no one wants to grieve so much over a horrid disease as much as my family has.
 
 
Aunty Marg, I hope you are resting on the most beautiful beach, with the sun in your heart. I'll miss you always until we meet again. Love forever xoxoxo


Comments