Next step

The other day I was criticised for not knowing what I want to study next year...
 Well honestly of all the options that have come up, not one of them has been "oh yeah I really want to do that" It's more like "oh I guess I could do that, and that, maybe even that."


How on earth is one supposed to be the right one??  :S
I assumed teaching would be my next step after graduating with an Advanced diploma in Music Performance, but now I'm beginning to wonder if I really want to just be teaching? I mean would I even be a good teacher? Would I be able to teach? Who would I teach?
  Then there's:
  • Music therapist - too much study, plus I hate psychology
  • Education support - Get to help kids who need it, don't get to do music, where would I do that?
  • Disability support - Get to work with disabled people, but how far will that go?
  • Beggar on the street - Well, that's not my idea of living really.
  • Somehow become extremely successful in the music industry & make loads of money? Ha not likely.
Education support and disability support sound like the closest things I would love to do, but will that make everyone I know proud of me? The "well my daughters a disability support worker." Or will I just get "You should've been a teacher."
  My brother as everyone I know knows has Autism & is attending an adults workshop 5 days a week. He loves it. But when it comes down to it, how many adult learning centres are there for the intellectually or fully disabled? the answer: In my area there are approximately 4. Four centres offering 4-5 places a year for adults with disabilities.n But what happens to the other 200 adults that need help? Well from my understand most will end up in care, while a few will be doted on by their parents, who have quit their jobs to become a full time carer. But Is that fair to anyone?
  But fact of the matter is to make more places available for people requires two things:
  • Government/state funding
  • council approval


My brothers centre only received enough to purchase a new mini bus, to help with the rising demand for pick up & drop off. they now have 5 mini buses, but they need a lot more than one bus, there's still many that simply can't be on a bus route.


This is why I want to help. I want to be one of those dedicated to helping out the people that the governments have clearly forgotten. But a lack of funding means not that many staff are taken on every year, so what then? Do I help the homeless? - Most of that is volunteer based. Not much to live off is it?
   Now before anyone dislikes this comment just made, I honestly admire and appreciate the men and women that will give up everything to help another out, you are who keeps Australia surviving. But helping the homeless just isn't what I want to do. What about those trapped in their own home, relying on limited respite or support? What about those going from centrelink payments, to well centrelink payments?


You may think I've simply got it all wrong. You may think I'm throwing away my talent, limiting myself to simply becoming a no body. Hell you might even think what I want to do with my life is lower than what you want to do in life.


I'll not apologise for wanting a better life for my brother, my family, my friends, parents who give up the whole world to care for their disabled children, cut off from society and assistance, the people who end up in care, because it's the only way they will be cared for. Disabilities don't just disappear after the children turn 18. Its about time people stop pretending it disappears. I'm standing up for what I believe in, do you?
        

Xx



Comments

  1. I guess when it comes down to it...you have to do what you want to do....you have to love it...you have to want it...but most of all...it has to be YOUR choice.

    volunteering as much as it is noble....its hard to do when things cost money...as you say...those that do do it are heroes...but when your 20 something...wanting to live life, move out, make a name for yourself...doing something for nothing is not a desireable nor sustainable option.

    im proud of you no matter what you decide to do....you love life...you love your family and i know that no matter what you choose to do, it will be with everything you have.

    Miss talking to you

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww I actually almost teared up Mitchell!! I have decided to apply for disability support, because I might still have a chance at getting into a special school, & education suppport well if needed I could study that once I'm in full time work :)

    I would love to volunteer! but exactly 20 something & I want to move out & make a name for myself.

    I miss talking to you too! catch up sometime real soon!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment