Easter wishes.

We have beaten the road toll. Congratulations.

Heading into this Easter weekend, I can't help but be terrified that one of my friends may possibly not be here this time next year.
  We've all seen the ads for the driver reviver sites; begging you to stop and have a 15 minute power nap or a cup of tea, they've begun offering free music downloads just to try to get someone's attention
The TAC ads; Difficult situations, difficult decisions, just to get someone's attention.
The police ads; Warning you that they will be in force the whole way through this long weekend. Speed cameras, drug and alcohol busses, to get someone to pay attention.

 But is the message really coming through?

In the weeks leading up to Easter I saw a few bad posts of facebook. "Booze bus, maroondah hwy" "Speed camera FTG rd" "Look out coppers in ringwood near canterbury rd"

These were Facebook friends of mine, in truth I maybe see then once in a while, and its never an highlighted experience. So Reading these posts, and reading the comments or viewing the amount of 'Likes'

 I realised these are not the kind of people I want I my life.

So they were simply deleted, because quite frankly anyone that is dumb enough to post that kind of crap, shouldn't be driving.
   Its when you realise that they won't get the "we'll get you, before you kill someone, or yourself" mentality of the police force, who are out to protect us no matter what the situation. They won't get it until they lose someone. Or if they get pulled over & handed a speeding fine, or locked up for being under the influence of drugs or alcohol. They just won't get it.
This Easter weekend, people are smiling, happy, stuffing their faces with chocolate, seeing their families and friends, going away for the weekend without a care in the world.

  
  This Easter familes are waiting for their loved one to come home, someone is alone, someone can't call their best friend and tell them they are missed. Some are waiting for their loved one to wake up, to talk/walk again. Some are still searching for answers, some are still grieving, some can't even get out of bed because they know they lost someone dear.
   This Easter someone is putting their head in their hands, because they are having to come to the reality that someone has just died. And they are responsible.
  
This Easter police officers are knocking on people's doors, not to deliever good news. Instead they are there to inform a parent, a sister, a brother, a grandmother, grandfather, step parent, aunt, uncle, oma, opa, friend that someone they hold dear with everything they have, has been taken from this world.

It doesn't take much to get someone's attention, so how is more people are dying on our roads than ever before? What will it take before someone listens? Why does a picture of a beautiful supermodel in a bikini can get everyone's attention for different reasons, but when it comes to life and death we look away?

This Easter should not be another statistic. So my plea is this:

To all my beautiful, talented, special, loving, wonderful family, my friends and their families and friends. Please for me, drive safe this Easter, every easter, everyday. Every night. Be safe, Don't think you have to rush to get somewhere.

And if a friend offers to drive you home, please I'm begging of you please. If you feel they have had too much to drink, call me instead. I don't give a rats arse if you call me at 4am, drunk as hell, If you want to go home and you don't feel safe, I will pick you up!

 I'd rather be sleep deprived, than forever wondering if I'd have gotten out of bed would you still be here.

Yes this Easter there will be more police out on road than ever before. Yes they will be issuing fines for everything. Yes they'll pull you over for random drug and alcohol tests. But this easter I don't want to imagine losing one of you. This Easter I want my friends to be happy, safe, alive.

Its not much to ask. But Please I hope this post alone will get your attention. And I hope more than anything our friendship would mean this much to you. Please take care this easter, but mostly take care everday.

I love you all.

And to the familes and friends this Easter, regardless of whether this is the first or one of many Easters where you are facing missing someone dear this easter. I can only hope that you are surrounded by the most amazing people around. I know its no where near having your lost one there with you, but at least you are not alone.

R.I.P All those who were taken before their time.

WE ARE THE TOLL. It's about time we start changing this number.

Happy easter everyone. Lots of love

Xx

Comments

  1. A message everyone should take to heart each and everyday... You are an incredible person and an incredible friend. Never change who you are because u are perfect just as u are :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its simply trying to get the message out there :)

    Aww thankyou Mitch I really apprieciate hearing that. You are an incredible person and friend also :) xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment