Life Lessons

So as previously noted I am wanting to go back to studying next year, to improve the likely hood of me finding a job that I truly love to do! *Note one of my two jobs does not count in this because I love it too, while the other however pays my bills but doesn't really give me any satisfaction.*

So a little back history...

Graduating in 2008, I literally had no inclination of what I wanted to do as an adult, all I knew was I wanted to study music... My careers teacher added childcare worker, travel agent, and business just in case my plan failed. I got into Music.

It is now 2012 & so far I have: Graduated year 12.
                                                  Finished my Certificate II in Community services
                                                  Done a Certificate III in Retail operations
                                                  Completed a Certificate IV in Music Performance
                                                  Completed an Advanced Diploma in Music Performance
                                                  Not had any other idea up until this point in time.

Sure music was fun! It was the only thing I knew I could do well after leaving school. But has it gotten me very far? Not really.. Only receiving an Advanced Diploma basically means I am fully capable of performing music outside of a structured form, maybe even earn some money (busking mostly, but if your lucky you get to do a few gigs here and there) The only options available to me whilst waiting to graduate was either: Do my Bachelor of Music Performance for another two years, and come out as a music teacher, or not do a bachelor degree- Refuse to become a music teacher, then what?

Now in no way am I saying that by becoming a music teacher or successful in the music industry is not an amazing thing to achieve! Many of my classmates went on to do amazing things! Studying at a different institute which harnesses the ability to song write, compose, be their own person, others are music therapists, vocal teachers, music teachers. They earn a living doing what they do & that's fantastic! But sadly not for me, it was once, but in no uncertain times was I at an age to decide exactly what I wanted. Heck finishing school at 17 & having to decide your future then and there is so stupid on so many levels, because quite frankly if you ask most year 12 students, they are just keen to get out of school! Not to mention the fact that most students won't know what they actually want to do for quite a while into their adulthood. I only knew that music was what I had to do, nothing more, nothing less.

Well I took about 6 months of not studying before I had an inkling of what I wanted to do, so onto the application process I went.. BTW VTAC has not improved since the last time I had to apply!
   Course name? Disability. Location: 6 locations, mostly further out than I would like... okay so maybe Youth work? Not what I want to do but could be fun to learn... Yes found the course I'd like to do! So off I went applying at all these many institutions, reading info packs, researching like crazy. If I was to do it online, it'd be easier.. But workplaces are most likely not going to take you on if they see only an online certificate. What if I got a job working in that area? Sure it would be nice, except most places like you to have heaps of experience etc, plus working 3 jobs again did not sound good at all.

  It was then I discovered the disability course closet to my area was to no longer exist come July next year... Who on earth decides its OK to shut down a learning institution mid way through a year?? better yet why are we closing a learning centre that is the only one in an area that is still so far stretched from everything else that simply moving to another campus would prove to be a nightmare, not to mention that you'd always have the increased risk hanging over your head that that institute may not be there next year either, instead of travelling from Woori Yallock to Lilydale, then Woori to Croydon, to then be told oh how about travelling to Hawthorn??? One thing I'd ever say to our prime minister or our education department would be: Get your act together and stop closing schools, stop hindering Australians from learning.

More research. More application forms.. And still not much closer to what I wanted to do!! So okay why not go back to the place you studied at previously? see what they have... OK same course as every other institute... except there's an ASD course outline.... SOLD.

For those who don't know Pete is Autistic. He's my little brother & one of my best friends. He's the reason why I want to study disability. Because back when he was diagnosed in 1993 no one had any idea what 'Autisum' was. To everyone else he was a child who threw tantrums, yelling and screaming through the shopping centre, his inability to speak in full sentences. He was a speck that didn't need the time or attention that he deserved.
   It was the small minority who got it, that motivated me to do this. The ones who would provide respite from my brother & our family, the organisations who organised to get him into an early intervention kinder, to get him an aide at a 'normal kinder', the ones who would check on my family as a whole, not just focusing on one. The carers we had over the years gave my parents and I 3 hours a week to ourselves, it wasn't much, but sometimes it's all we needed, other times his carers would offer to take me too, so my parents could have a silent house, a calm grocery shop, those sorts of things nearly everyone takes for granted. But what they didn't know was that while the parents are understood in their struggles & the child with the disorder or the disability are pitied, no one ever really mentioned what could help the siblings cope, they weren't told it would get any easier, because no one knew what it was.

Nowadays you say the word Autism & almost everyone knows as well as understands. There's more help available than ever before! and that's amazing to see, but again what about the siblings, struggling to understand why their sibling sometimes lashes out at them, they don't realise its unintentional, they just see the bad. Some one needs to show them the good. Someone who can say "I Know exactly that feeling'' "It gets better you know''

I want to be a change in someones life. I want to give back like that small minority gave to me.

But always at the back of my mind was the fear: What if?
   What if I don't get in?
    What if I can't remember how to write an essay?
     What If I don't want to study?
     What if I'm not any good?

Well as of today I have been offered a place at the course I really wanted to do.
  I am excited to be going back to study, even though it's daunting as anything, and as for not doing so well, I have plenty of friends willing to help me if needed.

Now to next year.... I'll keep you updated.

Xx

Comments