Another year, another plea.

I know I know, this weekend will mark yet another long weekend for Melbourne. And once again I will stress to you the importance of surviving this weekend.


  Yet again, police will be out in force, booze buses and roadside detections. If you think you won't get caught this time, think again. Don't think that when you drive past a police car, unmarked or otherwise that they won't catch you.

Yet again Police will sadly also be knocking on doors, but not to tell someone they won the lottery, to tell them their loved one will not be returning home. Doctors will be telling patients they will never walk, or stand, or even talk anymore. But the only reassuring things they can say is I'm sorry. What else would you expect them to say? I'm sorry to tell you this, but some idiot got behind the wheel of a car and killed your son. You'll never walk again, but I'm sure you will be fine otherwise. When the driver ran that red light or decided to speed, only hit you at a low speed, be thankful??
   Are these the words you want coming out of their mouths??
I certainly don't. Frankly I don't want to see a police car arrive at my door, a phone call in the middle of the night, a post on facebook I do not want to witness.


I have plenty of things to look forward to, hopefully getting back into study (that's another post), friends 21st's, the fact that my bestest friend on the entire universe just recently got engaged!! There are new job opportunities.
 Naturally cannot wait for all of those things to follow!! All these things I have to look forward too and more!

Pretty sure every single person all over the world have similar views on things to look forward to! So why risk putting yourself in a situation where you consume too much alcohol and decide its a good idea to drive home? Why not lower the speed you are doing by 5k's? its really not that horrible getting to your destination 5 minutes later than what you would've done in some kind of a rush?
  Why not offer to be a designated driver for one night, and your friend does another night?
Why don't you tell your family, and friends to be careful, that you love them? Ask them to call you when they get to the destination of their choosing?

3 days ago marked a day in a calendar. A date which shouldn't have been made. A year since a young girl was killed, because 4 people made a terrible mistake. Quite a few people made a dreadful mistake, and sadly it wasn't a long weekend. Families were upsettingly told their children, grandchildren, sister, brother, grandmother or grandpa was not coming home. They were told to brace themselves for the worst when they got to the hospital. People didn't weep for joy in most cases. They were embraced, but not by the one they wanted the most.

Horrifically the family and friends of this girl who I have happened to get to know, aren't just pressing on, they are struggling, still coming to terms with their loss.

 I DO NOT WANT THIS HAPPENING TO THE PEOPLE I KNOW AND LOVE.
I never want to see that kind of loss ever again.

So My plea again: Please be careful of our roads, wherever you are. Know that you are so loved, and cared for its crazy! Catch a taxi home if you feel you've had too much to drink, call a friend I'm quite sure they won't be annoyed that you rang them because you were stuck and wanted to go home. drive safely, embrace it when you get pulled over for a breathalyzer, embrace the fact that you are sober and alert. Hell even thank the officer for pulling you over! They aren't doing their job to be an annoyance to you, they are doing it because its their job, they too probably would like to be at home with their family just as much as you do.

   Oh and another thing, don't be knob. Recently a news story broke of a facebook page blatantly showing pictures of unmarked police cars, number plates included. As a member of the public i am disgusted that they are being shown. you are not just saving yourself from being pulled over, but by the sheer stupidity you are putting the lives of those officers driving those cars at risk.
  Again Police don't do this because they want to annoy you. They are just over the fact that they are knocking on doors, pulling repeat offenders over, having to deal with morons who think its OK to endanger other people including themselves.
It is so saddening to think people are so stupid enough to do this, stop posting photos of cars its not cool.

My family and my friends are my world. I want them around for a lot longer than just this weekend. Be safe everyone.

Xx

Comments