Children's notions

Holding your breath when traveling past a cemetery, in case ghosts steal your souls. Not stepping on any cracks, just in case you break your back. Don't open an umbrella indoors, or let alone break a mirror, bad luck will come to you you know?
Why? Why as children did we believe these things, but why is it most of us still challenge ourselves to do these childish acts as adults? Is that all we learnt as children? That if you looked under your bed, a monster would eat you.
Does everything we learn from either our teachers or our peers stay with us our entire lives? Do some people simply 'grow out of it.'?
 Were our parents and teachers simply too lazy to teach us the things they wanted us to learn. For instance; Don't walk under a ladder, its bad luck. Yeah Its bad luck if someone drops something and hits you.
 Break a mirror, and you'll have 7 years bad luck. That's because mum didn't want you breaking her expensive and irreplacable mirror...
  I drove past a cemetery this afternoon on my way to work, I've driven past it many times. But on this occasion I felt it was right to hold my breath. That's what got me thinking in the first place. Why is that impulse still with me, even after all this time of not believing did I feel this time should be any different? As a child it was hard to hold my breath for so long, my face would turn red, and I'd feel like I wasn't going to make it, and most likely wouldn't. This afternoon however, I neither turned red or didn't not make it. But to me now didn't feel like ghosts of any kind were out to take my soul. But why did I do it?
  Tonight when I go past it again, will I naturally keep on driving and not even take any notice of it? or will I hold my breath yet again?
  What is it with these old wives tales that still get us, now in the 21st century have us still doing the same things?
 When someone gets a cold shiver down their backs, is it someone really walking on their future graves or simply the nervous system meerly sent signals down the body causing such a reaction?
If your hands itch, money will be coming to you; If I had a dollar for everytime my hand itched, where's my million? Why am I still living at home simply trying to get by?
 Careful! If your ears burn, someone's talking about you; Oh dear because THAT doesn't happen everyday of our natural born lives. Someone somewhere IS talking about you right now, but your ears aren't burning huh?
Heaven help you if you went outside on a windy day and pulled a funny face, or wanted curly hair so you always eat your crusts...
Oh and be on the look out for ladders, and black cats... If you don't want bad luck.

 So the next time someone tells you an old wives tale, think about it. Do some of these still occour in your life?
 If they do you should question why these superstions are still here, imprinting on every new generation of children.
   xx

Comments