Life sometimes isn't what you expect...

Its been a while since my last blog, time has not been in my vocab for the last few weeks/months.
But a week ago time became something that crossed my mind more than once in that time frame...


At 20, the general thought is that we don't have anything to be worried about. They drink too much, party too much, no motivation, etc. I mean why would we have to worry about most things?
There's what are we going to do for the rest of our lives, how much money we earn, what job we have, what we are studying, who's our real friends, if we should work out more, go out more.
  But what if that wasn't your only worry.


At 20 you wouldn't really think you had to be concerned about cancer. I'm sure skin cancer can just get cut out right? That's the only cancer people at 20 years old should be concerned about right?
  Wrong! Skin cancer is not the only cancer we as 20 year olds should be concerned with. Girls especially.
I've been brought up to realise Cancer is something very real, but up until the start of this year did I realise just how much I had to be careful.


My cousin was diagnosed with an aggressive form of Cervical cancer at 26. The main reason she had a pap smear? Her mother, my aunt had had breast cancer 10 years earlier.
  But it turns out these things weren't just a coincidence on my dads side of the family.

My great Uncle: Leukemia
My great Aunt: Brain cancer.
Another great Aunt: Stomach cancer.
A second cousin: Brain Cancer.
Pop/grandad... I don't know what he would've like to have been called: Lung cancer.

I didn't get to meet these members of my dads family, my family. Did I look like any of them? Could they tell from being around me that I was my dads little girl?
 Sadly when they all passed, Cancer treatments weren't as advanced as they were when my Aunt & later my cousin survived.
My dads not one to worry. But when it comes down to being very careful my dad made it quite clear that I had to be careful.

So when I decided it was about time I started doing self breast exams, they weren't something I looked forward to. Breast exams just sound so uncomfortable & awkward.
Fact is weighing up possibly finding something early, or finiding it too late. [A bit too much detail sorry! but if I say something, maybe another girl might discover something early too]

Last week something was wrong... Panic was an understatement. That night I didn't sleep a wink, I sat up all night sick to the stomach.
After a second, and third check the next morning it proved false. I'd freaked out over nothing.

But what if I had found something? The thought makes me sick. I just can't imagine.
  I may just be one girl. But I honestly hope and pray that girls are getting tested for things they are worried about and doing their own self exams.

No one should find out too late.

xx
 

Comments